Friday, December 12, 2008

E-Day 2008

I'll try to be brief...

Worked in Colorado in the morning. Got a group of our volunteers off to the airport. Found out last-minute our flight had been bumped up several hours, so madly packed, threw everything into the rental car, and drove to the airport.

Flew to Arizona. Grabbed a cab and drove to the Biltmore. Checked in, went to my room, cleaned up (had to go from "political" back to "finance") and went to the staff briefing.

Quick tour of the goings-ons. Played bouncer. Ate chips and guac, quesadilla bites, and other hors devours. Watched The One sweep across the nation.

Watched the concession speech. Had a few more diet Cokes while everyone else continued to enjoy the open bar with much more fervor.

Stayed up late.

Flew home the next morning.

On a more detailed note, the day was an interesting mix of excitement, tension, apprehension, and eerie calm -- at least, for me. The set-up was amazing, and people came out by the thousands. Several other E-Day parties were being held close by, and "bouncer" quickly turned "troubleshooter" as you tried to explain to someone that the reason they couldn't get into this room was because they were in the wrong spot...

Although remaining optimistic with the guests, in the back of my mind I was expecting the worst, but felt unusually calm about it. (Others didn't take it as well).

The last 16 months were quite the roller coaster -- and quite the experience. I'm glad I took the opportunity to get involved, gave my all, and stuck with it to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment